Wednesday, March 14, 2012

PIT BULLS, MY WIFE AND MARK HARMON

I love dogs. No, I adore them.
In fact, I believe they are hands down or paws down, the best creatures on this
or any other planet.  There was a time I could name every breed in the world on sight. This
includes the Cane Corso, Turkish Akbash dog, Komondor, Shiba Inu and you get the point.
This has become more difficult of late because too many people apparently cannot live without proving they are to be envied, aka, beating the Joneses at their own game.
Okay I want a Portuguese Water Dog .... BUT I want it to have humps like a camel.
Hmm... not my choice, but No Problem.
"Come back in a year and I will give you first choice of a litter of perfect PortuguCams. Web feet,
Humps and all."

KUDOS to the TV show NCIS. 
In a recent show, the main character, Gibbs, played by Mark Harmon says,
People don't understand PIT BULLS.  They are very affectionate, very loyal and fairly easy to train.    

I SADLY did not know THIS (despite my vast knowledge of canines) until 5 years ago when I heard my vet say, "in 20 years I've never had a problem with a Pit. They are very sweet and gentle."
Well, that was news to me. I had been drinking the Not To Kool Aid for too long and did not learn enough about the this breed.  My knowledge multiplied tenfold when my amazing wife started doing volunteer work for the WARL.... Worcester Animal Rescue League. I'd say 75% of the dogs they had for adoption were Pit Mixes and Lori got to know them all.  And grew attached to every one.
Like all dogs, they need to be evaluated.... some dogs just need to be the only dog in a home.

My wife and I have rescued our last 5 dogs.  I wish more people would do this rather than bow to their idealized image and go out and spend big bucks on some hybrid or pedigree breed. Yes, this will offend some of my friends who have taken this road, but if they have an image problem, AND they really care enough, they can dig up Siggy Freud.
Just Keep This in Mind.  Needing a German nameplate on your car is not in the same universe, not
remotely as consequential as putting your image above rescuing the life of an animal who in too many
cases faces certain death... for no reason other than it was originally owned by someone with a brain
composed of equal parts canned asparagus, chicken jerky and mucilage, married to the compassion level of Attilla The Hun.
I have made donations to more than 30 shelters thruout the country and heard stories that made
me sick to my stomach and question the human race.

In the meantime, let me know if you hear of someone who can mate a Hippo and Rottweiler.
I may drive a KIA, but if I have the first Rottopotamus,  the Country Club elitists will overlook
my Jewishness and will open their arms to me... and their doors to my Rotto.






No comments:

Post a Comment