Saturday, November 12, 2011

RANTS AND RAVES SANS THE RAVES

You don't want to become the things you hate. Hate will drain you faster than a three-handed plumber
using tools he found in Bruce Wayne's basement.  When I was young, I didn't have the slightest notion
that skin color was anything more than the difference you found when you opened a box of crayons.
Annie, my grandmother's nurse was light brown. Laura, the lady who came to clean the house every
week was dark brown. My mother's mood was black. Three crayon colors I needed to fill in the
outline of the German Shepherd. Nothing more and nothing less. Not when you're a 7 year old.

Now we jump 61 years to today. Yes, 6 decades is a chasm to jump but I'm not writing a novel and
if I had been present at any one of these events I'd be dead. Until I was 15 my vocabulary was pretty
much limited to 8 or 9 variations of "Fuck You"... And if you know nothing or little about Dr. King, Medgar Evers, Chaney Goodman, and Schwerner ... George Wallace, Gov Faubus and LBJ calling
in The National Guard, The Black Panthers, The Greensboro 4, Emmett Till, Brown Vs. Board of Ed,
or some of this country's proudest achievements... Jim Crow, The Black Codes, Plessy vs. Ferguson,
you might want to read about.....sorry, I forgot......you can read can't you?

Last week, the story just broke about the Eugenics program that went on in North Carolina.
Over 7000 people, mostly young black girls between 9 and 18 who were sterilized. Butchered by
decree of a 5 person panel of  maladapted morons marinated in madness who can't even spell the procedure they're endorsing. I'm probably being too harsh here.
After all, this sub-human program was going on in more than 30 states starting as far back
as 1915 and the 48 people in N.C. who have been identified as victims are being generously
offered $20,000 and in some cases, $50,000. Well now... that shines a brighter light on things.
Show me the money and cut my dick off!

All these states trying to eradicate the black/latino vote should just stop tiptoeing around the edges
and step to the center of the dance floor. Take a cue from Ann Coulter alluding to a key difference
between Republicans and Democrats....."Our blacks are better than their blacks." Yeah, Better but
you know, not as good, not as smart as white folk. Like that state where 83% of high school students,
predominantly white, couldn't name the first two Presidents of this country.
Now, that is definitely something to Jim Crow about.

Joe Paterno got good advice when he hired a criminal lawyer. I don't think he'll ever spend
a day in prison, but it wouldn't shock me if he spent 3 years under house arrest.
Look, you can't condemn an entire university for the sins of 10 people or 30 or 100.
But when you run into a burning building and see only a football and an 8 year old boy 
and you choose to save the football, I suggest you spend the balance of your life on your
knees praying for your soul.  No, it won't help, but that's your problem.






1 comment:

  1. "when you run into a burning building and see only a football and an 8 year old boy
    and you choose to save the football, I suggest you spend the balance of your life on your
    knees praying for your soul"

    This is a great quote - one I may appropriate without attribution for cocktail party conversation; now it's just a matter of being invited.

    Joking aside, the analogy is overly generous. There was no fire here, no acute crisis to cloud judgment, just a smoldering rapist monster with access to University showers and a steady supply of victims.

    ReplyDelete